(c. 1873) The original structure on this site was a one-story house built by Sigmund Zacharias, a cotton merchant. The house contained three rooms and an open breezeway. C. C. Barthold, Jr., purchased the house in 1888. The breezeway was enclosed and a second story, kitchen, and wrap-around porch were added in 1900. Mrs. Dow Jordan rented the house in 1948 and opened “Mrs. Jordan’s Kindergarten.” Downstairs rooms became classrooms and upstairs rooms served as living quarters for the Jordan family. Mrs. Jordan remarried in 1973, closed the kindergarten and moved to Fort Worth.