Tour Edit Mode: Add or remove places and events to this tour, then click done editing:

Done Editing

Quickprint Blackwell Hotel

Add to plan Remove from plan

(c. 1860/1886)
A pink tin facade was removed in 1988 revealing a Victorian limestone building which echoed design elements found in other buildings of the same era around the Square: transom windows, cast iron columns and a deep cornice. The post office once occupied the ground floor; the telephone company was among past second floor tenants. In its earliest days, it was the site of a “two-dollar house,” a popular term for a hostelry for stage coach travelers. Known as the Blackwell House, the two story hotel was also the departure location for the army mail coach and its detail of soldiers who protected the coach against attacks by Indians or robbers.

  • Arts & Culture
Processing