[c. 1859] The Weatherford City Commission officially designated an area northeast of downtown as “The Burial Grounds” in 1863. Plots were laid out and sold for fifty cents per foot. In 1925, the ladies of the Civic League and Cemetery Association cleaned out the area, removed wooden and piled-stone grave markers, and built a fence. The current wrought-iron fence was sponsored by the Parker County Heritage Society. Among the notables buried in the cemetery are Oliver Loving, “Dean of Texas Trail Drivers”; Douglas Chandor, portraitist and gardener; and Mary Martin, Broadway and film star.