(1885/1912) Earliest uses on this prime corner of the Square included a saloon housed in a frame building. This handsome cut stone structure built in 1885 was long the home of dry goods merchants. Victorian Italianate in style, the building features cast iron facade trim, carved cornices, wood transoms and a pressed tin street canopy that are typical of its era. The pediment crown above the cut-corner entry is stamped with the name of the building’s former owner, “Hill,” and the date “1912,” hinting at the tragic fire that resulted in the second floor’s west wall being rebuilt in a complementary blonde brick. Long before leaving her hometown and achieving fame as a Broadway star, Mary Martin selected the Hill Building as the site for one of her dance studios.