(c. 1905) An 1870s era photograph depicts a two-story frame land office and newspaper building on this site. In 1884, W. J. Eddleman constructed a Victorian twostory cut stone building here to house his dry goods business. Merchants & Farmers National Bank (Compass Bank) commenced operation at this location in 1889. A 1902 fire resulted in a simpler three-story stone structure being erected . By 1931, the third story had been removed.