Tour Edit Mode: Add or remove places and events to this tour, then click done editing:

Done Editing

Dr. John R. MacKenzie Home

Add to plan Remove from plan

(c. 1870)
Dr. J. R. MacKenzie, a Civil War veteran and mayor of the city (1886-1888), was living at this site in 1877. Dr. William Y. “Bill” MacKenzie purchased the house in 1912 after his uncle’s death. Dr. Bill’s widow occupied the house until her death in 1953. Weatherford Junior College acquired the home in 1961 and it was converted into a boys’ dormitory. The frame structure is considered a rural interpretation of Classical Revival style with Queen Anne influences. Of special interest is the rusticated native limestone foundation and cypress siding. There are four fireplaces, three of which share the same chimney. A stained-glass window above an interior Colonial style stairway survived the use of the house as a dormitory

  • Arts & Culture
Processing