(1880) The county “calaboose” was erected as a square threestory sandstone building. A wooden kitchen and dining rooms were later added to the north side. In 1904, the third-story was removed and the deputy’s living quarters were relocated to the west side. The brown, moss-covered building was abandoned in 1958 when prisoners were transferred to the new county jail north of the Public Market. The old jail was razed in 1963.